This course consists of the following 3 videos:
- Auditing for Success
- Code Smarter, Not Work Harder
- Healthcare Fraud
NP Guide to Coding & Reimbursement: Making Sense of the Dollars and Cents provides video education plus a desk reference (spiral-bound cards) for ongoing use. This video series, updated in 2020, provides essential information for NP students and practicing NPs about proper billing and coding practices. This 2020 course provides important updates on billing and coding practices. The education and content provided in this video course helps NPs make accurate decisions about the evaluation and management codes selected for each patient encounter. It also provides tips for ensuring maximum reimbursement and for avoiding common mistakes that can lead to fraudulent practices. Videos require the Google Chrome browser.
Card Set Information:
APEA’s Guide to Billing & Coding in the Outpatient Setting (included in this bundle) uses an innovative compact design to provide the most relevant coding information in an easy-to-carry size and an easy-to-understand format.
The card set features:
- 20 pages (10 two-sided cards) packed with information
- easy-to-turn pages on a spiral binding
- graduated pages to help users find topics quickly
- durable design on sturdy cardstock
The card set outlines:
- the coding process for new patients
- the coding process for established patients
The card set details documentation considerations for the following:
- chief complaint
- history of present illness
- review of systems
- past, family, and social histories
- the physical examination with focused elements
- complexities of medical decision making
- ICD-10 and general rules of documentation
- time-based billing
- special setting of service billing
- preventive services
At the completion of this activity, the learner will be able to:
Auditing for Success: Fiscal Responsibility
- Describe their responsibility for documentation and coding
- Ask how billing will occur for their services
- Make sure they are credentialed on insurance plans
- Know where their feet are planted and how to use the appropriate codes
- Identify the billable codes for their practice
Code Smarter, Not Work Harder
- Identify tools for reimbursement
- Identify key components of evaluation and management
- Describe, step by step, how to document a visit and select the proper billing code
- Identify coding conundrums
- Identify audit triggers and "incident to" billing issues
- Discuss healthcare laws that protect against fraud and abuse
- Identify what healthcare fraud is and areas where fraud is likely to occur
- Understand actual fraud cases for the OIG: identification, investigations and outcomes
3.5 contact hours
TIME TO COMPLETE
3 hours 11 minutes plus post test.
Each video is accessible twice within 6 months of purchase.
This activity is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners continuing education program, ID #2020-02-41.
Provider number: 100820.
This course is taught by Lynn Rapsilber, DNP, ANP-BC, FAANP, owner of NP Business Consultants, LLC. She is an expert on NP documentation and coding and has presented on this topic at numerous conferences. She practices clinically at Connecticut GI in Torrington, CT.
*APEA MOBILE App
APEA Mobile is a free app that can be downloaded from the Apple App Store and on Google Play. Purchases must be made through apea.com and will automatically be synced to your app. Content downloaded to your device from the app can be accessed at any time, even without an internet connection.
Minimum space required: Each video section may take up to 90 MB.
iPhone versions 5 and above and iPad Air and Mini and above. Android versions 4.1 and above.