This course is designed for primary care nurse practitioners and psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners. Learn or fine-tune your expertise in prescribing medications for the most common psychiatric conditions, including depression and anxiety.
In this course, you will explore and understand why recognizing and treating mental health conditions is a vital part of practice today. Learn how prepare yourself — and your clinical setting — to effectively manage patients with episodic and ongoing mental illness. Particular emphasis will be placed on the importance of appropriate psychiatric-mental health knowledge in primary care settings.
You will learn:
- the principles of prescribing psychiatric medications
- how to manage depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and other common mental illnesses in the primary care setting
- how to identify treatment response and remission
- identification and treatment issues unique to children and adolescents
- identification and treatment issues unique to postpartum women
- how to effectively manage mental illness in the presence of comorbidities
- how to determine when to refer to specialist
- the neurobiology involved in treating mental health diagnoses.
Streaming Online Video:
Instant access! Place your order. Receive a welcome email and you're ready to go. No waiting!
View your videos. Complete your evaluation. Print your certificate. It's that easy!
To access videos:
- Log in to APEA CE Center or download APEA's free mobile app
- Download or stream your course videos and course manual
- Complete the quiz and evaluation and earn your credits!
*Please note: Videos require the Google Chrome browser.*
At the conclusion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the principles of prescribing psychiatric medications for the treatment of mental illnesses commonly seen in the primary care setting.
- Identify treatment issues, response and remission in adolescents, postpartum women, and patients with comorbidities.
- Discuss the neurobiology involved in treating mental health diagnoses.
TIME TO COMPLETE
8 hours 30 minutes
Each video is accessible twice within 6 months of purchase.
This activity is approved for 8.5 contact hour(s) (which includes 8.5 hours of pharmacology)
Advanced Practice Education Associates (APEA) is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Provider number: 100820.
This activity is approved for 8.5 contact hour(s) (which includes 8.5 hour(s) of pharmacology) . Program ID #2021-02-47P.
This course is taught by Nancy Nadolski, MSN, MEd, FNP, RN, a family nurse practitioner in Boise, Idaho, who has focused on psychiatric and sleep medicine for more than 20 years. She is a well-known educator on mental health treatment and is the co-author of Think Like a Psychiatrist: 40 Cases. Her presentations at national, regional and state conference have included topics such as “Treating Depression and Anxiety,” “How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep,” and “Psychopharmacology for the Curious.”
The APEA app is a free app for Apple and Android devices. Purchases must be made through apea.com and will automatically be synced to your app. Content downloaded to your device from the app can be accessed at any time, even without an internet connection.
Minimum space required: Each video section may take up to 150 MB. Each audio section may take up to 90 MB. Requires iPhone versions 5 and above and iPad Air and Mini and above.